We unite leaders from all continents, cultures, and occupations to exchange ideas and take action in communities around the world. Explore our diverse history, learn about our structure and leadership, and explore our priorities and financials to discover how we connect lives and drive positive change.
The collective leadership and expertise of our 1.2 million members helps us tackle some of the world’s biggest challenges, locally and globally. We are united by common values and vision for the future as we sharpen our focus with targeted specific causes that will reach communities most in need.
For more than 100 years, our guiding principles have been the foundation upon which our values and tradition stand. The Four-Way Test, Object of Rotary, and the Avenues of Service express our commitment to service, fellowship, diversity, integrity, and leadership.
Object of Rotary
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
• FIRST: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
• SECOND: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
• THIRD: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life;
• FOURTH: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
The Four-Way Test
The Four-Way Test is a nonpartisan and nonsectarian ethical guide for Rotarians to use for their personal and professional relationships. The test has been translated into more than 100 languages, and Rotarians recite it at club meetings:
Of the things we think, say or do
1. Is it the TRUTH?
2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Rotary’s strategic plan ensures that our future is as strong as our past. The plan unifies the direction of Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation and identifies three strategic priorities supported by 16 goals.
Support and strengthen clubs
• Foster club innovation and flexibility
• Encourage clubs to participate in a variety of service activities
• Promote membership diversity
• Improve member recruitment and retention
• Develop leaders
• Start new, dynamic clubs
• Encourage strategic planning at club and district levels
• Focus and increase humanitarian service
• Eradicate polio
• Increase sustainable service focused on programs and activities that support youth and young leaders and Rotary’s six areas of focus
• Increase collaboration with other organizations
• Create significant projects both locally and internationally enhance public image and awareness
• Unify image and brand awareness
• Publicize action-oriented service
• Promote core values
• Emphasize vocational service
• Encourage clubs to promote their networking opportunities and signature activities
We provide service to others, promote integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through our fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders.
Our core values
Our values are an increasingly important component in strategic planning because theydrive the intent and direction of the organization’s leadership.
These core values are:
• Fellowship and global understanding
• We build lifelong relationships.
• Ethics and integrity
• We honor our commitments.
• We connect diverse perspectives.
• Vocational expertise, service, and leadership
• We apply our leadership and expertise to solve social issues
Areas of Focus
We direct our efforts in six areas to enhance our local and global impact. Our most successful and sustainable projects and activities tend to fall within the following areas:
• Promoting peace
• Fighting disease
• Providing clean water
• Saving mothers and children
• Supporting education
• Growing local economies[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]